Course Dates For 2022
May 7th / 8th (Fully Booked) May 15th / 16th (Fully Booked) June 11th / 12th (Fully Booked)
July 16th / 17th
August 13th / 14th
September 10th / 11th
Our beginner training courses are run over a weekend and consist of two days of intensive, instructor led training to get you the stage where you can safely go out on the water on your own and, once a member, can rig and use the Club equipment. With a maximum of 8 students the training will be closely supervised by RYA qualified instructors. Our equipment is beginner friendly and very easy to use with big wide stable boards and lightweight easy to handle rigs.
Course times are 10am to 5pm, but please arrive by 9:30 to allow time to get ready.
The cost for the course is £100. When you pass the course and join the Club we will waive the Joining Fee of £30 . Once you join you will be able to use our Club Kit. Should you fail to meet the required standard at the end of your course we will offer you the opportunity to retake the course at a reduced fee of £50 subject to availability.
The course content is as follows:
- Introduction to kit and basic rigging
- On shore demonstration, basic positions secure position, static turns and the sailing position
- On water – demonstration followed by class to practice, 60 mins +
- On shore demonstration- steering the board, tacking and safety.
- On water – On water demonstration and then practice time. 60mins +
- Recap day 1 activities and practice on water for 60 mins.
- On shore , sailing upwind, improved tacking, introduction to downwind sailing and gybing.
- On water, gybe demo followed by practice on water upwind and improved tacking, downwind and gybing
- On water, practice all techniques.
- On water assessment – objective to sail a triangular course to incorporate a tack, gybe and up and downwind sailing
You will need to bring a swimming costume, towel and old trainers that you don’t mind getting wet. We will provide a wetsuit and buoyancy aid and all the windsurfing gear. You will also need to bring a packed lunch and plenty to drink especially if the weather is warm.
Please note:- whilst we adhere to the RYA syllabus and have fully accredited RYA Instructors, we are not able to grant an RYA certificate on completing this course. If this is important to you, you should contact Carsington or Rutland WaterSports who do provide certificated training.